Saturday 6 April 2013

Random Pondering! Redesigned Superheroines With More Clothes

Earlier today I was linked a story on Screw Attack that had a gallery of images that showed off outfit designs from a "Michael Lee Lunsford" of various superheroines with more clothing. Y'know, things like pants. Shocking, right? Anyway, here's that link.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/michael-lee-lunsford-presents-fully-clothed-superheroines

But since I thought they were interesting, I figured I'd talk about 'em a bit. Note that I am NOT a huge comic book reader and don't keep up on all of these characters. I do know pretty much all the ones that everyone sees, and a few niche ones here and there. Don't jump down my throat if I make an error or whatever, thanks.



First up: Wonder Woman (not Wonder Women, silly picture caption)
This is probably my least favorite out of all of them. The whole thing looks sloppy, not at all what I'd expect from the character. I mean, why abs? Seriously? The boots look like they could just slip off they're so baggy. The pant colour seems out of place, and also look baggy and sloppy. The blue skirt thingy is actually kinda cool though.

Zatanna (Not Zantanna...)
First impression: Boring, but that coat and hat are pretty cool. This one just failed to impress me, which I feel a magician should do, which the original costume does... although not for the "right" reasons. The whole thing just feels plain. The comments for the picture mentioned a bowtie. I think that might do it in pushing it over into "I like it" territory. Bowties are cool.

Elektra (not Electra, wow, they made a lot of mistakes)

Yes. It keeps the original design, and just adds sleeves and pants. Also that ninja-toe thing. Honestly don't have much else to say here, it's just solid.

Supergirl (apparently not Super Girl)
(I think the one on the lower left is the "correct" one, but you get the idea)
My personal favourite one out of the collection. The original design wasn't that bad, comparatively, but I think the skirt got shorter and shorter as the years went on... Anyway, I really like this one. Maybe because I like cute, and this seems to scream it. The whole dress/cape thing appears to be a single piece of clothing, with the emblem section being some kind of flap or... something. I dunno, but it actually looks cool. The boots look weird, though not as bad as Wonder Woman's. The gold touches are nice, the belt is cool. I just like this one. Definitely my favourite. I want to actually read a Supergirl comic based off this design.

Vampirella (Hey they got this one right)

This seems to be one of the most radical changes, as the original (if you felt you shouldn't open it, and that's one of the TAMEST ones. Yeesh) is basically just strips of red cloth covering the important bits and long black boots. This is definitely a change, which is good. I just don't know much about the character to say how "good" it is. Apparently she's from Mars, so the style doesn't seem alien enough. Also, it honestly feels like "generic vampire". It's not bad, just not... amazing I guess.

Power Girl (They're on a roll!)

This one didn't really require much change, actually. The most "offending" part is the infamous "boob window". I actually remember reading something that defended the "boob window", and it made some sense to me. Still, this is cool, and the across-the-chest chain thing is still there. Something about it seems off to me, but I'm not sure what. It certainly doesn't suck though.

Psylocke

Hold on, let me skim the Wikipedia article on this one first...
Okay, so she's psychic (no, really?) and telekinetic, and apparently was put in the body of a Japanese assassin. In that case, the design is definitely ninja-ish (the sword helps), but keeps the black/purple look of the original (black, grey, close enough). The armoured shoulders seem a bit out of place though. I dunno, I'm a fish out of water on this one.

Black Canary
My second favourite design of the group. The Wikipedia page says nothing about a biker gang, but the reference pic seems to imply something about it. This is actually a pretty cool look, although it takes practically nothing from the original. I especially like the pants, they look super cool. The shirt seems cool too. The whole thing just seems to say "cooooool".

And there you have it. Redesigned superheroines (although I think one or two of these aren't really "heroes", but whatever) for either better or worse. I think better for most of them, and would actually be interested in reading comics on a few of these design changes. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment